Thank goodness for coffee

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Ok...here I am at 7 a.m. sitting at my desk waiting for chaos that apparently will never come. I dragged my bootie out of bed and in to the office 2 hours early this morning for the closing of a big deal on the east coast (they're an hour ahead, after all). Now I'm sitting here with only Jack FM to keep me company; the sun's not even up yet! Not one single email or phone call yet. This reminds me of my days in the service where 'hurry up and wait' was the standard. It's not Starbucks, but at least I have the comfort of the coffee pot here to keep me entertained.

I was pleased to note this morning that Sen. Miller revoked her sponsorship of the ignorant bill I ranted about yesterday. Glad to know that she has some sense in her yet. I try not to listen to the news too much because I just get upset, but lately, it seems unavoidable. Here's my recap, replete with my solutions, of the week's top stories:

Harriet Miers, Supreme Court justice nominee: This isn't as horrifying a nomination as it could have been. Don't get me wrong, Ms. Miers is probably the bridge to the demise of Roe v. Wade, which is a real tragedy. She's no Clarence Thomas, though, and we should all be grateful for that. Does it matter that she doesn't have experience on the bench? Stinks of cronyism, but ultimately, every judge at some point or another has to cut their teeth, so I think she'll be fine.

Tom Delay indictments: It's about time someone reined in this arrogant chucklehead. I just love it when a spider gets caught in his own web. Loss of his seat and jail time sounds appropriate to me. Same opinion applies for Roy Blunt, Jack Abramoff, Jim Ellis, Scooter Libby and the original turd blossom himself, Karl Rove.

Hurricane Katrina relief: El Shrubbo said in his speech this week that we need to cut spending so that we can take care of all the other millions of priorities we have, like stimulating private sector contributions to rebuild the devastated areas. I think this is a great idea - let's start by cutting the war in Iraq.

Bird Flu: Don't kiss birds on the beak.

Fuel prices: Can someone remind me again why utility commodoties (e.g. gasoline, water, electric) are for-profit businesses???

Enough ranting already. I'm going to grab another cup of Joe and sit here watching the phone not ringing. Then I'm going to perfect the art of sleeping with my eyes open. Ciao!

0 comments