In Memoriam

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

As you may have heard, native Chicagoan, power-hitter and Hall-of-Famer Kirby Puckett passed away yesterday from complications from stroke. He played for the Minnesota Twins his entire career, and may possibly have been the keystone for turning their abysmal record towards two World Series wins. He retired after the 1995 season after only twelve seasons because he developed glaucoma, and in his retirement he was active in promoting glaucoma tests and treatment. According to the Hall of Fame website, at the time of his retirment he had attained the highest career batting average (.318) for a right-handed batter since Joe DiMaggio.

A particularly fond memory I have takes me back when I was like 23 or 24. My boyfriend at the time really got me interested in baseball, and he was a fan of Kirby's so he had a poster hanging over the futon in the living room. He said that Kirby was a player's player. That was a really really good time in my life. I had good friends, a great boyfriend and my whole future ahead of me; just really happy times. Thanks for the memories, Kirby.

7 comments

Phats said...

RIP kirby

12:52 PM
axshinjaxn said...

He was a great player, and I've heard more than more person say (before his death) that he was one of the nicest, down-to-earth people you could ever hope to meet.

Kirby attended and played ball for Bradley University in Peoria, IL. My brother worked at BU, and I remember him telling me a story about Kirby Puckett. He said that he would run across him often, and that Kirby would always have his boombox jammed up all the way, rocking to the J. Geils Band's "Flamethrower". Whenever I hear that song (on an oldies station now!), I think of that story and Kirby Puckett.

RIP, Kirby.

4:59 PM
mrshife said...

I wish everyone played ball like Kirby did. He was a gamer.

9:27 PM

SO SAD...AND SO YOUNG...
ALSO SAD ABOUT DANA REEVES, SUPERMANS WIFE...44 YEARS OLD...NEVER SMOKED AND DIED OF LUNG CANCER..THAT SHIT DON'T PLAY...6 MONTHS..BAM...YOU'RE GONE...SO SAD.

11:49 PM
leo myshkin said...

the twinkies are my favorite team. i love small market teams and think kelly and gardenhire are great managers. of course kirby was a huge part of the twinkies.

i think the lyrics of abraham martin and john should include kirby so i took the liberty:

Anybody here seen my old friend Kirby?
Can you tell me where he's gone?
He freed a lot of people,
But it seems the good they die young.
I just looked 'round and he's gone.

7:12 AM
Nancy said...

Living most of my life in Minnesota I have a Kirby Puckett story. To make it short he visited with another player to a hospital in MPLS. which my ex-husband was at, he came in the room and was the nicest person ever. He signed my Minnesota Twins world series hanky.

9:21 AM
Katrina said...

Kirby was THE Minnesota Twins.
Ask any Minnesotan.
Everyone here is greiving in some way - I'm suprised the flags aren't half massed.

10:15 AM