At the movies with the Lady Shark

Saturday, May 09, 2009

Yes, folks - I totally geeked out and went to see Star Trek on opening night (this really shouldn't come as a surprise since last week I went to see Wolverine on opening night). Even at the 6 p.m. show the theatre was packed. Very cool, though, because part of the fun was enjoying the audience response to classics like, "Dammit man, I'm a doctor, not a physicist!" and "I'm givin' it all she's got, Cap'n!"

I was completely prepared not to like this film, and oddly, the exact opposite happened. To be sure, I don't own a Romulin costume or speak Klingon as a second language, but face it: if you were young in the 60's or 70's you watched Star Trek (whether in prime time or in endless reruns) and the series holds a special nostalgia for you. I admit that the thought of some cocky, young hottie taking on the role of none other than *gasp* the iconic Shatner as James T. Kirk gave me the heaves. Let's not even go there for our beloved Spock.

Expectations aside, I thoroughly enjoyed myself during this movie and amazingly, I believed this Kirk and Spock (and Bones and Chekhov and the others, for that matter) were the young versions of the characters we came to know so well. Strangely satisfying.

Anyway, hopefully going to the movies costs less where you live ($10.50 in Chicago!) because you absoloutely must see this great summer movie. As if the movie weren't reward enough in itself, said beloved original Spock makes more than a cameo appearance. :-)

3 comments

billy pilgrim said...

i'm kinda boycotting this because shatner wasn't given a role.

but i'll take a free copy when the file sharing freedom fighters come through.

6:02 PM

the director said he couldn't use shatner cause they kilt him off in the last movie..and without making it a gotcha they couldn't put him in...and shatner has made a nice chunk of change on boston legal and all them commericials and the books, plus now he has comic books too...that said..i can't wait to see the movie..will see this one in the theater..thanks for the update..
how ya bean? jelly..

10:27 PM
texlahoma said...

I'm old enough that I watched the series on prime time and loved it.
I'll have to go check out the movie now.

9:11 AM